hawthorn flatbow

Hawthorn flatbow A little over a year a go I cut some hawthorn. I got six staves out of them but when I debarked them I found they where all littered with bug holes! Only one of the staves looked like it could have a bow in it so I […]

Fumed yew flatbow

Fumed yew flatbow The stave this bow is made from was a gift from my good friend Erik from Pinaka Longbows. He has tons of good bow wood and makes a habit of giving me the “marginal” pieces. You don’t hear me complain;-) This stave was very straight and only […]

Apple twisted pyramid

Apple twisted pyramid About three years ago I had to cut some trees to make room for a new fence. One of them was a wild growing apple. It did not really look like it had a bow in it so I tossed it in my “maybe some day” stave […]

Osage takedown

Osage Takedown Let’s start by telling this bow is a special one for me. I always put a lot of effort in my bows but this one even more! Why: a few months ago I was having some friendly mail conversations with Simon. Now anyone who saw my bows and […]

Laburnum 5 curve

Laburnum 5 curve A few months ago I got this really crooked piece of laburnum with a huge reflexed kink right in the middle from my friend Pinaka Longbows. The stave was already cut with a bandsaw so my width was pretty much set at about 1.2 inch max. (Stave […]

Yew deflex static

Yew Deflex Static Recurve Lately I have been on a bit of a deflex reflex kick with my self bows. Had a piece of yew with lots of sapwood and not so much heartwood which would need a handle build up anyway. So I chopped that into a rough bow […]

Osage Reflex Deflex

Osage Reflex Deflex A few weeks ago I got an osage stave from a friend of mine. He cut it narrow to get rid of all the cracks. Cracks kept appearing so he did not want to risk it and gave it to me. I chased about five rings to […]

Black locust recurve

Black locust static recurve This stave has a few knots on one limb and had a sideways bend in the middle but the other side is really clean. After roughing out I corrected the sideways bend in the handle with steam. It also has some twist but I could not […]

Mulberry bendy

Mulberry bendy This was a leftover split of mulberry, both length and width are almost unchanged except for some sanding. Kind off nice when roughing out the basic profile takes only 10 minutes;-) there’s only two rings in this bow, you can see the light earlywood separation in the closeup […]

Elder HLD Flatbow

Elderberry HLD Flatbow So I am just trying out all the local woods which I think can make a nice bow. This elderberry stave was cut in may with a hld in mind. I split it immediately, debarked it and threw in the corner of my shed. Thickest part was […]